This guide will help you understand HGV training prices so you know what to look for when booking. There are a few stages involved with getting your HGV licence and it’s useful to know how much each part should cost so you know you’re not getting caught out. All-in, an HGV training course should cost between £1000 and £2000, depending on your exact requirements.
How much should HGV training cost?
- Driver medical £50-£150
- Theory tests £60*
- Driving course £800-£1920
- Driver CPC Module 4 (Initial CPC) ** £150-£300
- Driver CPC 35 hours (Periodic Training) ** £150-£500
- Digital tachograph card £32
* £37 if doing periodic training (see below)
** To get your HGV licence you will need to do either Module 4 or 35 hours periodic training.
Useful tips when getting HGV training prices
- Don’t always look at the cheapest option
- Shop around for HGV training prices, at least three local companies if possible
- Don’t sign up over the phone, visit the company before you pay ANY money.
- Arrange an assessment drive to see how many hours training you’ll need
- Search for local training providers here on trainingmentor.co.uk
Things to consider when checking HGV training prices
Some training providers may try to condense your training course into less time, with longer days. Try to spread your training over at least 4 days if possible. This helps with retaining the new information.
Find out where your test will be. Are you going to be training on familiar roads, or near the test centre? Make sure you don’t get sent miles away to do your test at another test centre that suits the training company, not you.
Don’t take claimed pass rates at face value. These have been a contentious issue in the industry for many years, and it’s very hard to know what’s real and what’s not.
Not booking directly
This one is super important! Make sure you book with a local training provider. Don’t sign up for any course over the phone without first visiting the training provider. Check out the premises, the vehicles etc. You could lose a lot of money by booking with a company over the phone.
Check out the following Training Mentor articles related to this subject.